Thursday, September 6, 2007

If only, if only...

When I was younger, math had always been my favorite subject. It was mainly because I used things I knew to figure out an answer, and there is almost always only one answer to any math problem, so you could only be right or wrong. Math came easy to me in my younger years. As I got older, though, I started having more and more problems understanding some of the things my math teacher taught us. I remember one year one or two years ago, my teacher, Ms. Bruggeman was teaching us a particularly confusing topic. I don't quite recall which one exactly it was (there were quite a few), but I remembered how frustrated she was everytime I asked a question and she had to answer it the same as before. Sometimes I felt I understood, so I would start on my homework right away, with confidence, thinking I was going to get an A this time. The next day I would turn it in, pumped for her to grade my paper, only to have those hopes shattered the following day when I saw the big "D" or "F" marking my paper in red. Occasionally I would stay after school or class, and she would help me to understand. Those were my favorite times in math, because it was always then that I had a breakthrough and knew I understood what was going on, not just thinking I knew. It was a nice feeling to turn my paper in, and get it back with an A- at most. Like, it just dawns on you what you're doing wrong, like a big slap on the forehead. It was always like, "Wow! I'm stupid..." I do admit that I will miss here after school help. It may be a while before I have another slap-in-the-forehead moment.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I had the same situation in math. It came easy to me in Jr. High, but in high school it became difficult. It probably didn't help that I had a different teacher, but the concepts were harder to understand. I worked together with some friends to help me through. There were definately times when the entire class was lost for a few days though. Math was probably my most challenging subject. I would understand it when I did the homework, then on the test I would make stupid mistakes or forget how to do a problem.

Flower Girl said...

I know exactly what you mean! Math is a very hard subject until you get to the point that you know exactly what's going on. I think this is the reason why I don't like Math very well, because if you don't know what's going on, well then you're in trouble!